Nationals 2023

Colorado Springs, here we come.. .or went... or ... well.... back and planning for 2024!  Wrote about it a lil here : Colorado Springs on 2 Wheels. 


This is my third Nationals.  El Paso, '18.  Kentucky, '22 and now CO Springs, '23.   I never cease to be amazed at the magnitude of it all ... 2500 - 5000, bikes rolling in, folks everywhere with their cuts on (we can call it that now!). Have to admit it's a rush.  Then, the opportunity to meet up with folks you haven't seen in ages from across the country and.... making some new friends.  It's a huge family

IRON BUTT

I've been planning this for an entire year, right after Kentucky.  I knew I'd be be doing another Iron Butt/FTM, but that'd change up a lil as time went on.  I didn't advertise to many I was going to do it. Most don't seem to want to make the trek to Nationals.  Most of those, don't want to do a 1,000 mile stint in one day. I get it. But for me, it's a test of some sort.  I wasn't able to do it in '19 and '21 due to some issues that kept me from any long distance riding.   So it's a big deal to me personally.  Well, the players would change up as time went on.  Chief and KAL dropped out.  Then, 3Force dropped out.  Dutch and Wingnut are rolling and at the last second, I changed up my plans to ride with them and do the FTM on the way back instead of up that direction, mainly due to weather concerns.  Along the way in Amarillo where we stopped for the night, we'd run into dozens of other CVMA members traveling our way.  The next morning we connected up with Tank, Selfie and LT for a group of 6 headed the final 375 miles.  Both days were a no brainer, relaxing rides.  Shockingly, we stayed dry the entire trip... hell, the ENTIRE trip to and from Hunt County.

Once in CO Springs, it's a blur of back slaps, hugs, greets, events, meets, rides and good times.  Friday would be riding off on 2 laners in the SW of the Springs.  Friday night is Bike Night. Saturday is the meeting, but with the State pic first thing that morning.  Meeting started at 0900, and the fun begins.  Some parts of it brutal, other parts enlightening.  Icing on the cake was getting in the thousands of votes/swipes, with wireless internet causing issues, which meant long lines and wait times. Then, a revote for Treasurer where Wild Bill threw in the towel which was a class act move, since we were all trying to vote.. yet again.  Whew.......

Calm Saturday night, leading up to the ride home Sunday.  Dutch and Wingnut have decided to roll straight home with me 750 miles, at which point I'll break off to do another 250 and complete my FTM.  Sunday would prove to be a brutal one with temps ranging from 50 to 103!   Lets just say....   WATER is your friend!!!   I wrote about it here (  xxx ) , but ...  after staying dry the entire trip and the next 100 miles, my luck would change.  Rain, Hail, high winds ... everything but a tornado!  But by 0100 ...five hours into the final 250 ... I'd pull up home to pull the plug. F'ing exhausting.

Next Year?  Ready!













__________________________________

FTM 2024




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my world on 2 wheels

DRP 50k

 Didn't realize I had that many. I track every CVMA related ride, but ....  guess I lost track of the total itself (story in itself I di...