Indian Riders Take Over Chattanooga — The 12th Annual Jack Daniel’s Ride

If you ride an Indian Motorcycle, this is one of those events that reminds you that owning an Indian is about a whole lot more than what is sitting in your garage.

The 12th Annual Indian Motorcycle Rider Series: Jack Daniel’s Ride is underway in Chattanooga, Tennessee, October 1–3, bringing Indian owners together from across the country for three days of motorcycles, great roads, food, music and—probably most important—the people.

Indian Motorcycle bills the Jack Daniel’s event as its largest owners’ event of the year, and after twelve years, it has become one of those annual gatherings that deserves a spot on every Indian rider's radar.

I still haven't made it to this rally myself. Every year I see the pictures, read the posts and hear the stories from riders who made the trip, and every year I think the same thing:

I've got to get this one on the calendar.

It's been on my motorcycle bucket list for years, and sooner or later I'm going to quit talking about Chattanooga and actually point the Challenger east and make the ride.

More Than Just Another Motorcycle Rally

I've owned Indians from four different generations of the company—Springfield, Gilroy, Kings Mountain and Spirit Lake—and I've watched the Indian community change and grow right along with the motorcycles.

One thing hasn't changed.

Indian riders love getting together and riding motorcycles.

That's what I like about events like this. It isn't simply hundreds of motorcycles parked in a field while everybody walks around looking at vendors. The motorcycle is actually part of the event.

This year's official schedule includes group rides through some beautiful Tennessee country, live entertainment, food, a bike show, giveaways and plenty of time to hang out with other Indian owners.

Thursday evening kicked things off at First Horizon Pavilion at Finley Stadium with dinner, live entertainment and the bike show. Friday included breakfast followed by the big scenic group ride to Jack Daniel's in Lynchburg, where riders gathered for lunch. Saturday brings another scenic group ride and lunch at The Commons in Collegedale.

In other words:

Ride. Eat. Tell lies about how fast your motorcycle is. Ride some more.

Sounds about right.

Indian Motorcycle + Jack Daniel's

There is also some real history behind the Indian Motorcycle/Jack Daniel's relationship.

The two American brands have been working together for years, including a series of extremely limited-production Jack Daniel's Indian motorcycles.

That partnership even crossed directly into my corner of the Indian world with the 2022 Jack Daniel's Limited Edition Indian Challenger Dark Horse. Only 107 were produced worldwide, powered by the liquid-cooled PowerPlus 108 and finished in a distinctive Rye Metallic paint scheme with gold and green accents.

As someone who rides a 2022 Indian Challenger, I may be just a little biased toward that one.

Okay...maybe more than a little.

But whether you're riding a Challenger, Pursuit, Chieftain, Roadmaster, Springfield, Chief, Scout—or one of the old Indians that helped build the name in the first place—the badge on the tank is what brings everyone together.

The Roads Are Half the Attraction

Then there's the location.

If you're going to organize a national motorcycle gathering, eastern Tennessee isn't exactly a bad place to do it.

Chattanooga puts riders in the middle of some outstanding motorcycle country—mountains, elevation changes, sweepers, backroads and scenery that is a lot more interesting than staring at an interstate for six hours.

And the ride to Lynchburg gives the event a destination that has become almost inseparable from this gathering: the Jack Daniel's Distillery.

The annual owners' BBQ and group photo have become traditions of the event, and this year riders also have an opportunity to meet Mike Kennedy, the new CEO of Indian Motorcycle.

That last part matters.

I've always believed there is value in motorcycle-company leadership actually spending time around the people who buy and ride the motorcycles. You learn a lot more talking with owners in a parking lot surrounded by Indians than you ever will looking at a spreadsheet in a conference room.

This Is What Indian Needs More Of

I've written before about Indian events, owner rides, Indian Bike Week and the difference between a grassroots gathering and something with real participation from the company.

There is room for both.

But I especially like seeing Indian Motorcycle itself putting resources behind events that get owners out riding together.

Indian has been around in one form or another since 1901. The company has survived success, failure, disappearance, rebirths and several generations of ownership.

Yet somehow the motorcycle still has the ability to bring together people who might otherwise have absolutely nothing in common.

I've seen it at rallies.

I've seen it on cross-country rides.

I've seen it in parking lots when two complete strangers notice the Indian badges on each other's tanks and twenty minutes later they're still standing there talking motorcycles.

That's the part of the brand you can't manufacture.

The company can build the motorcycles.

The riders build the community.

And Chattanooga is full of that community this weekend.

Enjoy Chattanooga, Ride Safe and Keep the Rubber Side Down

To everyone who made the trip to Tennessee for the 12th Annual Indian Motorcycle Rider Series Jack Daniel's Ride—enjoy the roads, enjoy the motorcycles, meet some new people and take a ridiculous number of pictures.

And for those of us watching this one from home...

Maybe next year.

I've been saying that about Chattanooga for long enough. It's time I finally knock this one off the bucket list.

Events come and go.

The rides and the people you meet along the way are the parts you'll remember.

And considering where this particular ride takes us, one reminder is especially appropriate:

Keep the rubber side down.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my world on 2 wheels

Indian Riders Take Over Chattanooga — The 12th Annual Jack Daniel’s Ride

If you ride an Indian Motorcycle, this is one of those events that reminds you that owning an Indian is about a whole lot more than what is ...